William Hobson (1752-1840), of Markfield House in South Tottenham, was a successful Quaker builder who in 1805 was commissioned to build Martello Towers along the South and East coast as defences against a feared French invasion during the Napoleonic Wars. He was also involved in the construction of the London Docklands and the building of the new Newgate prison.
William Hobson moved to Markfield House, which he had had built, in 1798. The house was sold to developers in 1879 and demolished in 1880.
The Tottenham and Edmonton Advertiser commented:
Like many other estates in the once rural parish of Tottenham,
the land is doomed to become covered ere long with brick and
mortar, and its stately mansion with its ornamental grounds
will also shortly know their place no more.
William Hobson died on 23rd May 1840 and was buried at All Hallows, Tottenham.
Additional information from: Lost House of Haringey, Bruce Castle Museum, 1986